Tuesday, July 23, 2002

The Bad Bus Trip -- Day One -- Part One -- Homeland Insecurity

I walked up to the ticket counter in Bakersfield and asked for a one-way ticket to Bradford, Pa. The girl asked for my name and phone number but didn't ask for a driver's license or any other kind of ID. When they "checked" my bag, all they did was put a tag on it to show when I'd have to pick it up for transfers (which ended up being a f'ing joke). No one even asked to look at, let alone inside, my backpack.

While we were waiting for the bus to arrive, a man sitting near us got up and went outside the bus station, but left his bag on the floor. No one seemed to notice besides us. He eventually came back but, let me tell you, we were more than a little nervous about that.

I'd like to say security was better during the next three days, but I'm sad to say I can't. Cleveland was the best and it wasn't all that hot. What happened in Vegas made me even more leary than if they'd done nothing. But more on that later.

I guess what I learned is that Greyhound doesn't think terrorists ride buses.


No comments: