Monday, March 15, 2004

Getting Old

I always thought of cholesterol as an old person's problem. Well, either it's not an old person's problem or I am *gasp* getting old. My cholesterol isn't all that high -- 223 -- and my doctor says I can probably get it under control by modifying my diet. But still. *sigh*

So today I went to the eye doctor for my regular check-up. I knew I was going to need a new prescription but I wasn't ready for what he told me. Bifocals. Bifocals? Bifocals!!! That was my initial reaction. Now I'm okay with it. Pretty much. At least I'll be able to see better. It was taking me 10 minutes to focus every time I picked up a book. My doctor assures me that problem will be alleviated with the, uh, new glasses. The new contacts will be good, though. I've been wearing hard lenses for 23 years because soft lenses wouldn't work due to the problems with my eyes. Now, however, there are gas permeable lenses that I can wear. Yay!

Anyway, although my body is apparently getting older I'm trying to trick it into staying younger. I've lost 105 pounds (47 to go!). I'm now watching my cholesterol. I'm walking an hour a day and alternating weight training and tae-bo six days a week. If that doesn't keep me healthy and feeling younger ... Ya know, a year ago I would have said I'd give up. But today I'll say I'll just have to try harder.

Getting old doesn't have to suck, I guess. It's up to me to make sure it doesn't.

No comments: