Saturday, March 06, 2004

Why would they lie?

I got my first royalty check on Monday. Along with the check was the breakdown of how many books were sold, and where. All along I've said that if only half the people who told me they were going to buy the book actually bought it I'd be happy. And yes, I am happy with my sales although only half the people who told me they were going to buy it actually bought it.

But I'd like to know why the other half lied. To make me feel better? To be polite? Maybe they thought I'd never know who bought one and who didn't. I don't know why they lied or why they didn't buy it. But when the next book comes out I'd be happier if people who aren't going to buy it just congratulated me and went on their way. Or just don't say anything to me about it all. That would be better than a lie.

No comments: