Wednesday, January 04, 2006

It Was Bound to Happen

In a town this small, I suppose it was unavoidable. Then again, I guess I could have avoided this very awkward situation had been thinking about what I was doing.

Now that I think about it, there are two awkward situations I'm forced to write about. The first is that I must now put myself in an installment of "Tales of the Traffic Law Challenged" because I didn't stop at a stop sign last night. And, it was only the stop sign I stopped at every single day when I worked at the Red Cross because it's right in front of the chapter house! As I'm sure all entrants in "Tales of the Traffic Law Challenged" do, I have an excuse. As I was approaching the Red Cross chapter house, I was thinking that I really need to call them and set up a time to volunteer for them. Before I got my current job, I said I would. It's been almost 3 months, and I haven't called or set foot in the building since I got the new job. *sigh* I suck sometimes.

Anyway, as I was driving I noticed flashing cop car lights in my rearview mirror. So, like a good driver, I put on my turn signal and pulled over. Much to my surprise, the cop car pulled up behind me. I said, out loud, "Oh my gosh. He's stopping me!" And, wouldn't you know it, it was the cop who sued me for libel. (And, once again, for those of you who missed this, I won.) So, he asks for my license and registration. I said I didn't have my license with me. (Yikes!) He asks my name. I tell him. His eyes get kinda wide, but he stays calm and asks if I know why he stopped me. No, I didn't know. He tells me that I went through the stop sign. I apologize profusely. He tells me to promise him I won't do it again. I promise. He smiles and walks away. I smile and say "Thank you. ... I mean, really. Thank you." And I meant it, too. He could have been a real jerk about the whole thing, but he wasn't. Truly, I'm grateful for that.

No comments: