Saturday, October 22, 2005

I'm Lovin' It

No, not McDonald's. I'm lovin' my job! In fact, I can't believe how much I love it. I was on the air a few times this week and, in my opinion, I'm getting better every time. I'm still not totally happy with the way I've been doing, but they tell me I'm doing well. Because I'm still training, there's no reason to tell me I'm doing well if I'm not. So, I guess I should believe that I am, and just try to get better. Well, more comfortable would probably explain it better.

I worked the board today for almost all the afternoon newscasts. We do them every half hour from 3 to 6. I didn't think I'd catch on so fast but, I pretty much had it by the second time.

Sshhh. Don't tell anyone but, I think ... I think ... I'm going to tell them on Monday that I'm ready to do the 3 o'clock live, by myself. Amazingly enough, I didn't even get nervous when I typed that. Must mean I am ready. We'll see on Monday, I guess.

5 comments:

Margaret said...

There's nothing like the feeling of knowing you are doing something that is a good fit. Enjoy!

Uncle Crappy said...

OK. I know this probably isn't something that non-journalists are going to be interested in, but I'm curious: What differences between newspaper and radio writing have you noticed so far?

And the more important question: Can we listen online?

Unknown said...

Your job sounds amazing and fun. So glad you found it and it found you.

Anne said...

Thanks for the comments!

The biggest difference between radio & newspaper writing is ... radio is shorter. You have to take what would be a 15-inch newspaper story and condense it to one paragraph. Sometimes it's challenging. Also, you have to know how to pronounce the names correctly instead of just spelling them correctly. For instance, our weather guy is Mike Cejka ... pronounced Sika.

You can't listen online yet ... but we're working on that.

Uncle Crappy said...

See, the pronunciation thing would be tough for me, especially given the wide range of ethnicities in western Pa. I can always double-check the spellings...

Sounds like you're diggin' the new gig. That's good to hear. And it will be even better when we can hear it for ourselves...