Saturday, October 08, 2005

Nostalgia or Inflation or ... Something

Does anyone remember 45s? You know. Records? Singles? If you do remember, do you remember when they used to cost a buck or less? Well, I haven't bought a single in ages. Actually, until yesterday, I never bought a single on CD. Considering it's been about 25 years (Oh ... my ... God!) since I bought a single, I shouldn't have been surprised at the cost - $3.44. At Wal-Mart. Before tax. But, considering the full-length CDs I bought were $14-something, I guess the price is in line with what it used to be in the old days.

So, what single was it that compelled me to slap down $3.44 plus tax, you ask? OK. I'll admit it. "Inside Your Heaven," the Bo Bice version. (Nothing againt Carrie Underwood but, I like Bo's version better.) It's the first CD by an American Idol contestant I ever bought. Well, yeah. I also bought Kelly Clarkson's CD yesterday but I picked up "Inside Your Heaven" first. Bice comes before Clarkson alphabetically. That's why I picked it up first. I went in to by Kelly's CD and a Melissa Etheridge CD, which I forgot. For some reason, I bought a Rod Stewart greatest hits CD and forgot all about Melissa. Sorry 'bout that, Melissa. You and Sheryl are next, though.

Back to "Inside Your Heaven." Sometimes, when I'm in a mood, it makes me cry. Any song that makes me cry, I need to have.

2 comments:

Walter Jeffries said...

I remember the, my older sister used to buy the singles on 45's and then there would be the flip side. For a dollar, that I don't remember, but I wasn't doing the buying. Interestingly, iTunes singles cost $1 now. Or 99¢, same thing!

Margaret said...

I have a rule when I go hear live music. Much of the time I see musicians who I have never seen before--and none of them are *big time* even if they should be. If they make me cry--it's automatic--I have a new CD no matter how much money is in my pocket.