Tuesday, June 21, 2005

May-December Romances

For the last few weeks I couldn't understand why the Tom/Katie relationship bothers me so much but the Ashton/Demi relationship doesn't. Last night while watching the AFI tribute to George Lucas I figured it out. Although neither Tom, Katie, Ashton nor Demi were there, I figured it out by watching Harrison Ford/Calista Flockhart and Warren Beatty/Annette Benning.

When the camera went to Annette/Warren during a joke or poignant moment, they looked at each other as if they were sharing something. When the camera went to Harrison/Calista, she looked as if she didn't "get it" and he looked at her as if he was saying "Don't worry, honey, I'll explain it to you later."

While you would think the same would hold true for Ashton and Demi, it doesn't. They look as if they have a real relationship. With Tom and Katie, however, it's as if he's saying "Hey, look, I got me a hot, younger chick." She's saying "Oh wow! I'm with Tom Cruise just like I daydreamed when I was 12."

No comments: