Wednesday, April 24, 2002

Christy's HumpDayHump

1) Would you say you had a good childhood or a bad childhood? What made it so either way? All things considered, I think I had a good childhood. We spent a lot of family time together. We went on several cool family vacations. My parents bought me just about everything I asked for (not everything I wanted; just what I asked for. I knew they had limits.) My dad was an alcoholic, so my mom did whatever she could to be a great mom to, I think, looking back, balance it all out. I also have an aunt who took me to Europe and who I used to spend a couple weeks with every summer in the Philly suburbs. Before high school, when most kids are friends with only the kids in their own neighborhoods, we all had a great time together. We were all friends with each other and looked out for each other.

2) Were you the athlete, the brain, the princess, the criminal, or the basket case? (stereotypes direct from the end of the Breakfast Club) Hmmm? I'd say I was a combination of the brain and the basket case with, weirdly enough, a little bit of the princess thrown in.

3) Did you attend a private school or a public school? If private, were there uniforms involved? Private Catholic school. We didn't have to wear uniforms, per se, but the girls had to wear dresses or skirts (no more than an inch above the knee, thank you very much) and the boys had to wear ties and couldn't wear jeans.

4) Favorite teacher in elementary and secondary schools? Why were they your favorites? In elementary school I liked all my teachers except Mrs. Grady (1st grade) and Miss Finno (5th grade). Oh yeah, and Mrs. Knupp (3rd grade). But I guess Mrs. Caruso (4th grade) was my favorite because she was a history and science buff. We got to do all kinds of science experiments. Each day started off with current events. I liked that a lot. And she didn't talk down to us. Mrs. Brown (6th grade) was cool because she took her role of getting us ready for junior high very seriously. But still, she let us be kids. She also read to us if we got our work done early enough. She introduced me to "Harriet the Spy." In high school, I'd have to say Sister Christine. She was my communications media teacher (and English for one year) and the advisor for the school paper. She encouraged me to follow my dreams.

Thanks Christy!

No comments: