Friday, April 12, 2002

The Friday Five

1. What is your favorite restaurant and why? This changes a lot, but lately it's been the 24/7 Truckstop that's close to our new house. The food is awesome! We went to their breakfast buffet last week and left absolutely stuffed. The biscuits and gravy were so yummy. The first time we went, Shell and I got the dinner buffet and it was pretty yummy, too. As anyone knows, you find the best food at truckstops. And ... you don't have to get dressed up.

2. What fast food restaurant are you partial to? It's a tie between Subway and Arby's. Subway always tastes so good. But sometimes ya just gotta have Arby's curly fries.

3. What are your standards and rules for tipping? I haven't left a tip since I've been here (Nick takes care of that) but I used to be a really good tipper. If the service was just okay, meaning the server did his/her job but didn't do anything extra I'd leave about 24%. (Why 24? As far as I know, a standard tip is 20% of the bill. Pennsylvania sales tax is 6% so I'd just multiply the tax by 4.) If the server went out of his/her way in any way, was pleasant, attentive but not annoying or any number of intangible things, I'd leave more than the 24 %, depending on the service. (I once left a 50% tip. I've never had a better waitress. I think she was the queen of waitresses.) If the service sucks, however, I'd just leave a dollar. But I always leave a tip, no matter how bad the service is. I learned while working in restaurants that if a customer doesn't leave a tip, the server may just think they forgot. But if you leave a buck for a $30 meal, they might start thinking about how much they sucked. Of course the server could just think you're a cheap bastard, but so what? He/she is a lousy server.

4. Do you usually order an appetizer and/or dessert? Not usually, but we tend to order dessert more than we order appetizers. But there's one restaurant, Mexicali, where we order guacamole for an appetizer. It's so good! (Well, it was both times I was there anyway.)

5. What do you usually order to drink at a restaurant? Usually Diet Coke/Pepsi or Sprite/Sierra Mist. Sometimes coffee or iced tea. We've been talking about going to Mexicali and ordering margaritas though. mmmmmm

Thanks Heather!

No comments: