Wednesday, April 03, 2002

I haven't posted for a few days because I've been really busy getting ready for the big move. There's lots of packing, laundry and other stuff to do. But we're getting there. It's been a little bit more difficult the last couple of days because it's been so hot here. H-O-T -- like almost into the 90s. This will be my second summer in Bakersfield and I'm not quite sure I'm ready for it yet. Well, I guess I'm more prepared than I was last year. Just a tip: It's not good to be dehydrated when you move into the desert. I wasn't a very good water drinker before I moved here. One of the reasons is -- and this is kind of stupid now that I look back on it -- with the job I had it wasn't always convenient to use the restroom -- if there was even a restroom available to me. So, I really didn't drink as much as I should have during work hours or the couple of hours before work. After work, I didn't drink that much because I didn't want to be up all night running to the bathroom. Which leads me to how I got really dehydrated before I stepped off the bus into the 104 degree heat of Bakersfield last June. I took a train from Pennsylvania (actually, I got on the train in Buffalo, NY) to Los Angeles, then took a bus from LA to Bakersfield. The trip took four days. I get motion sickness really bad and I was afraid to move around on the train too much because I didn't want to end up puking my guts out. So, during the entire trip I drank 3 small bottles of water and 3 sodas -- in four days! How stupid was that?!? So, naturally, I was dehydrated. When the temperature is in the 100s, it's very difficult to recover from dehydration. But now I'm a good water drinker so I'm better prepared for the heat. I hope!

Wake up! I'm finished with that post. *s*

No comments: