Saturday, January 08, 2005

Outside the box

I was thinking about how I'm going to explain my creative writing class what we're going to attempt to accomplish. I was thinking of saying I want them to start thinking outside the box. Then I realized that's not a very creative or original way to start a course that's attempting to get students to use their imaginations. So, I came up with an exercise I'm going to use.

You've all heard of the phrases "Not the sharpest knife in the drawer," "Not the brightest star in the sky," etc., right? Well, I thought they should come up with a couple of new ones. These are a few I thought of (or that popped into my brain through osmosis. I'm not entirely sure.): Not the hottest coal on the barbecue. Not the coolest ice cube in the tray. Not the brightest light on the Christmas tree.

Now, how 'bout something instead of "One can short of a six-pack" and "A couple of sandwiches short of a picnic?" A couple of stars short of a constellation. A couple of colors short of a rainbow.

More to come.

No comments: