Saturday, July 23, 2005

I Forgot I Could Do That

I haven't cooked a real meal in a long time. I eat a lot of taco salads, which doesn't take skill or imagination. Sometimes I'll cook up a chicken breast, but I usually don't do much extra with it. Cooking for one gets kind of depressing and I can't cook for my mom because we're on totally different diets. She's on low fat, low sodium, no sugar, no leafy green vegetables ... Well, pretty much anything that tastes good, she's not allowed to eat.

So, a couple of days ago when I was just staring at the contents of the freezer hoping something appetizing would magically appear, I noticed a little foil package that I'd put in there months ago. It was a boneless, skinless chicken breast. I said “Hey, I bet if I bought some rosemary to use with that, it would be good.” Today, after I cooked my lunch I realized how right I was. I forgot that, when I apply myself, I'm a really good cook. It was so yummy!

For anyone who's interested, here's the “recipe.”

1 boneless, skinless chicken breast
2 sprigs of rosemary, chopped
1/2 chopped fresh green pepper
lemon juice to taste
salt and pepper to taste
1 slice of provolone cheese, smoky flavored (mozzarella would work well, too)

Put some EVOO (That's Extra Virgin Olive Oil for anyone who's not a fan of Rachael Ray & doesn't already know.) in a skillet. Pre-heat on medium-low. Chop the rosemary. Drizzle a little EVOO over the chicken then put it in the pan. Sprinkle the rosemary over the chicken. Season with lemon juice, salt and pepper. Chop the green pepper, add to the pan. Flip the chicken when it's halfway cooked. Don't touch it until then or you'll tear the meat. Remember to stir your peppers. (The length of time for your chicken to be fully cooked depends on the size of the chicken. If you're actually reading this, you probably already know how to cook a chicken breast anyway.) When the chicken is done, turn the heat to low. Put most of the peppers on top of the chicken. Cover with cheese. Cover the pan for a couple of minutes, until the cheese melts. Put the rest of the peppers on top. Enjoy!

No comments: