Friday, July 29, 2005

Premonitions and Dreams

I've been having premonition dreams for a little more than 10 years, that I remember. The first one I remember came in September 1994. It was about tennis player Vitas Gerulaitis. When he was really popular and at the top of his game, he had a clothing line. I had a pink polo shirt from that line and I loved it. Wore it as often as I possibly could without seeming like I didn't have other clothes. During this dream, I was wearing that pink shirt which, instead of an Izod alligator, had a black tag with "Vitas" written on it. Every now and then in the dream, it was as if a camera was zooming in on the "Vitas" tag, then it would zoom back out. Somehow in the dream, I got to Vitas' house and he was showing me around. I kept saying I smelled something funny and feeling that something just wasn't right in the house. The next day I heard that he died in his house of carbon monoxide poisoning.

The most recent dream I had was last week. All I remember about the dream is that it had something to do with TV dinners. But, the next day, I couldn't get TV dinners out of my mind. And it wasn't today's TV dinners. It was the old kind in the aluminum trays that you had to put in the oven. I remembered how I liked them and how they tasted so much better than today's TV dinners (except for the dessert, which is rarely good). That night, I heard on Countdown that Gerry Thomas, the inventor of TV dinners died.

I've had many more in between those two, which is why, I think, a recurring dream I've been having for about a year has been bothering me so much. The dream involves me driving down a road (not always the same road) when I come upon a deep hole or a ditch or someplace else deep. Somehow, I don't end up going into the deep place with the car. I pick the car up out of the hole or deep place. When the dreams ended, I dismissed the part about picking the car up and concentrated on the driving into the hole. The dreams were so vivid and scary that I became very conscious of holes in the road when I was driving during waking hours and it scared me then, too. Well, it bothered me so much yesterday that (not the dream, just the fear of having it again) I started looking through Sylvia Browne's Book of Dreams. What I learned about recurring dreams is that you'll keep having them until you get the message your subconscious is trying to send you. As I was reading this, the dream was so clear in my head it was as if I was having it. Then it hit me: I fell into a deep hole but I pulled myself out. And one thing I remembered that I didn't remember the days after I had the dreams was that, every single time, after I pulled the car out, I'd say to myself "That wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. I must be stronger than I thought I was."

I doubt I'll be having that dream anymore since I figured out what it meant, and I feel so much better about myself.

No comments: