Tuesday, July 26, 2005

I'm a Junkie

The first step in conquering an addiction is realizing you have a problem. Last night, I realized I do. Heaven help me, I'm addicted to reality tv. It started innocently enough 10 years ago with "The Real World." That was about it until 4 years ago when I got hooked on "Big Brother 2." (Damn you, Will Kirby, for being so deliciously evil!) "Trading Spaces" also became Must-See-TV for me. Luckily, "The Bachelor" and "Survivor" never interested me, and I lost interest in "Fear Factor" very early on. I cringe at the thought of how bad my addiction would be had I gotten hooked on them. However, when "Average Joe" came onto the scene, I got hooked on that. It's gotten worse since then. I love "Queer Eye" and find myself wishing Jai wasn't gay. (As if I'd have a chance with a hottie like that.) I cry like a baby during "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition," especially when Ty tears up. I find myself rooting for the kids on "Brat Camp" and most of the people on "Celebrity Fit Club 2." I'm thankful that NBC reairs "I Want to Be a Hilton" on Bravo so I don't miss it while I'm watching "Big Brother 6." I even found myself watching "The Next Food Network Star."

I realize my addiction could be worse. I don't watch "Growing Up Gotti." I only watched the last 2 episodes of "Joe Millionaire" and "For Love or Money" (both of them.) I never watched "Temptation Island." Juding from the commercials, "The Real Gilligan's Island" seemed way to dumb to watch. I know I'm missing some that I don't watch, and some that I do.

Anyway, I realized I had a problem last night when I started watching MTV's "Kill Reality." I don't even know why I started. It didn't interest me. I don't particularly like any of the reality "stars" on the show. Why-oh-why did I turn it on? Addiction, I'm tellin' ya! But I'm starting to beat the addiction. I didn't just change the channel. I turned the television off before I could search for another reality show. Good for me!

However, although I'm starting to beat it, I'm in no way close to the end. In fact, I'm counting the hours (a little over 10) until Big Brother 6. I must pray for the fall tv season, and actual shows with writers and actors, to get here quickly before this addiction gets even more out of hand than it already is.

No comments: