Thursday, February 28, 2002

My mom called Monday and told me my old high school (old, as in it doesn't exist anymore) is having a reunion this summer for all the classes from 1962 to 2000, when it closed. I'm not going. I've never been to a reunion for just my class. I certainly don't want to see people from other classes, most of whom I couldn't care less about. Anyway, as Nick and I were talking about this, our conversation somehow turned to weird things that our junior high schools and grade schools did. Then, I remembered in kindergarten we were divided into groups based on how smart/advanced we were. There were the blue birds (the smartest), yellow birds, green birds, black birds, orange birds and pink birds (the least smart). Although this was supposed to help the not-so-smart kids not feel bad so they wouldn't see how fast the "blue birds" answered questions, learned to write, learned the alphabet, etc., it didn't really work. It was blatant segregation actually. I mean, everyone knew the pink birds had to be the dumb kids because there's no such thing as a pink bird. Well, except for flamingoes and, let's face it. If you're pegged as a "pink bird" in kindergarten you're probably going to end up having a plastic flamingo in your front yard at some point in your life.

No comments: