Monday, January 05, 2004

End of an Era

The last Monday Mission

I was in on this from near the beginning. I stopped for a while but felt it was only right to do the last one.

1. In the last week, what happened that made you feel loved beyond your wildest dreams? [ from MM 1.0] Remember in St. Elmos's Fire when the Emilio Estevez character talks about the quintessential moments in a man's life? One of them is when "the right girl smiles at you." Well, the right guy smiled at me. I can't even describe what his smile does to me, except that just thinking about it now is making me smile and get tingly all over ... and giggly.

2. What was the last audio CD you paid money for? [ from MM 1.3] "Now That's What I Call Christmas 2." Big waste of money! I think I only like three songs on the whole 2 CD set. But the one I bought before that was Train's "My Private Nation." Love it. Listen to it quite frequently.

3. Has someone you know ever told you they had a terminal illness? What was it like for you when you found out. How did that change your relationship with them?[ from MM 2.45] Yes. My mother had breast cancer. She's still alive several years later, however, and I'm grateful for that. She and I became much closer after that. Actually, I think that's when our relationship began being more of a friendship than a mother/daughter thing.

4. Do you have an accent? Are there any phrases or words you say that tip folks that you aren't from around these parts? [ from MM 2.38] Well, I don't think so but apparently I do. When I lived in California, people knew I wasn't from there. I'm not sure what it is that tipped them off, though. Although people around here generally say "pop" instead of "soda" -- and that's a big tip-off to what part of the country you're from -- I've said soda since I was in college when most of my friends were from the NYC area. Funny thing now is that although I didn't live in California for very long, I picked up a word that I can't seem to get rid of ... y'all.

5. What's the difference between being a Father, and being a Daddy? [ from MM 3.25] A father is a sperm donor. A daddy spends time with his children, teaches them, disciplines them, loves them.

6. What is the most recent thing guilt has motivated you to do? [ from MM 2.50] I really can't think of anything. Must be I've been really good lately. Either that or I have no conscience.

7. How do you feel about tips and tipping? Do you feel obligated to tip even if your service is bad because you know the servers don't get paid much? If you've ever relied on tips for your income, how do you feel when you don't get any?
I tip according to the service ... and I'm a good tipper. I've been known to give as much as 35% for exceptional service. I tip well (at least I think I do) because I worked in a restaurant for a few years. I wasn't a waitress, but had several friends who were and knew how important tips were to them. Having said that, I hate to admit that sometimes if the service is bad -- and I mean really bad. Like the waitress forgets your drink after being told more than once; doesn't ever come back to check on me; gets the order wrong. You get the idea. -- I will leave a penny. Why a penny? If you don't leave anything, she might think I forgot. The penny is a message.

BONUS: Will you still love me for the rest of my life? Let me sleep on it
Baby, baby let me sleep on it. Let me sleep on it And I'll give you my answer in the morning. Let me sleep on it. Wait! I know that's not right, but that was the first thing I thought of when I read it.

Well, mission completed. Congratuations on such a great run!



No comments: