Friday, January 02, 2004

Nostalgia

After reading Gina's post this morning about how hearing a Springsteen song made her feel, I was going to write something similar because I had some similar feelings. I just kept writing and writing and writing. I think all of that was more for me and not for public viewing. But I will say this:

I was a freshman in college the first time I saw The Boss in concert. Up until then, I was an Elton John fan and owned very few albums (Yes, albums. 33 1/3 on vinyl) of any other artists. All that changed on November 17, 1978, during a three-and-a-half hour concert that rocked. Springsteen was on tour for “Darkness on the Edge of Town,” but played a few songs from the yet-to-be released “The River” as well. And, of course, he played many of his older songs.

Now, when I hear any song he played during the concert I remember college. Remember how you felt during college, especially the first semester of your freshman year? Nothing can beat that. But Springsteen songs bring back memories of all four years.

Springsteen was the soundtrack for my life at college. To me, his songs mean independence, love, loss, freedom and growing up. Maybe it’s the growing up part that makes me nostalgic. Sometimes I don’t feel so grown up, and don’t want to. Then I remember I don’t have much of a choice anymore. It’s not like Great Smile Guy is going to start singing “Tramps like us, baby we were born to run” and whisk me off to some tropical paradise where we don’t have to worry about clients and editors and making a living.

But hey, you never know.

No comments: