Friday, January 02, 2004

The weird thing about watching a “Twilight Zone” marathon was that I began to feel as if I was actually in the twilight zone. There was a time during the 46-hour extravaganza that I couldn’t change the channel. I was perfectly capable of physically picking up the remote and finding something else to watch, or turning off the television all together, but my brain wouldn’t let me. I was afraid I’d get involved in another show and miss a good episode that I’d forgotten about. For example, I’d completely forgotton about the “To Serve Man” episode. I really like that one. If I’d missed it ... Well, actually I probably wouldn’t have even known I missed it since I forgot about it in the first place. I also missed several episodes while I was sleeping. But that’s beside the point. There’s a point to this? Yes, I think so.

Then again, maybe not. I swear there was a point, but I lost my train of thought because I’m frustrated with my Internet connection, or lack thereof. I’ve been trying to connect for more than an hour to no avail. So my obsessive tendencies have me typing this entry on notepad while intermittently clicking “connect” when I get the message that a connection with the remote computer can’t be established. And yes, for God’s sake, I checked my password! I hate that message! “Check your password and try again.” Like it’s my fault? I’m sure the message is there because some imbeciles can’t connect for just that reason. It’s probably there for the same reason electrical appliances carry the warning “Do not use in the bathtub.”

Ya know -- and I just thought of this -- if someone is stupid enough to use a blow dryer in the shower, let him/her. Don’t we have enough stupid people on the planet without those who don’t know water and electrical appliances don’t make a good combination?

Anyway, back to “The Twilight Zone.” I’m just happy I got to see my favorites. They are the one where the old lady gets mysterious phone calls and it turns out they’re coming from her dead fiance; the one where Donna Douglas is considered ugly; and the one where one of the people in the diner is a Martian but no one knows who it is.

“The one where ...” That reminds me of "Friends." I like that they name the episodes “The One Where Phoebe Gets Engaged” or whatever. Actually, it’s ingenious. I mean, who really knows the titles of each sitcom episode? I suppose some television addicts do, but I sure don’t.

Speaking of “Friends,” there were a few years I couldn’t have cared less about that show but last year I started liking it again. I’m not depressed or anything because it’s ending -- It’s run its course, I think -- but Thursday nights will seem strange without it. Unless a sitcom miracle happens, I’ll probably be watching Countdown w/ Keith Olberman” on Thursdays now, too.

“Countdown,” by far, is my favorite news show. Serious stories are taken seriously, but there’s also irreverance and humor. How can you not find humor in the “terrorists with almanacs” story? Watching a news show that finds humor in it as well is refreshing.

How I went from “The Twilight Zone” to “Countdown” I’ll never know, but I think I’m finished rambling now.

No comments: