Thursday, March 17, 2005

Of angels, saints and signs

Let's review, shall we? For several months I've been trying to place my trust in angels and saints and the power of prayer. But, because I'm somewhat of a skeptic, I have trouble totally letting go and believing the angels, saints and whatever higher powers are out there are going to help me, so I ask for signs. Usually I get one. I get coins mysteriously appearing in front of me as I'm walking. Front plates on vehicles that have a message I've been asking for or, in the case of my prayers to St. Theresa, roses of some kind. Last week, I watched "The Sound of Music" and heard "When the Lord closes a door, somewhere He opens a window." So, because a door was recently closed for me (the coach being "with someone") I've been looking for the open window. Also, since that door was closed, I've enlisted the help of two friends to help me find the right guy. I'm not looking for "The One," because I'm not sure "The One" is out there for me. I just want a guy to hang out with, go to movies with, have dinner with sometimes.

Now, onto the events of yesterday. As I was taking my daily walk I was stopped at an intersection waiting to cross the street. One of the people who's helping me find a guy stopped in his car, rolled down his window and talked with me for a while. Right before he drove away he said "I'm workin' on it," meaning he's still looking for the guy. So, I continued on my walk and, as I was walking, I was talking to the angels and saints and God and, at one point, I said "Please help me find the open window." In my head, I heard "Duh!" and saw the image of my friend rolling down his car window. I started laughing and thought, "Man, I didn't think the open window thing would be that literal." So, I realized that the answer to that question is to let my friend keep working on it. He'll find the right person for me and I should just stop obsessing over it.

But that's not the end of the stuff that happened. I had said my St. Theresa prayer for five days, like I was supposed to. The belief is that within five days of finishing the five-day prayer thing, St. Theresa will send a rose to let you know your prayers have been answered. Well, yesterday was the fifth day and I hadn't seen a rose yet. I was starting to get depressed about it. Anyway, I had to do an interview at 5 p.m. and I wasn't exactly sure where the house was that I had to go to. I decided to walk a block out of my way on my way to work so I could walk down the street the people lived on and find out exactly where the house was. As I was walking, I was talking to St. Theresa. I told her I knew she had until midnight to send me the sign but, because she knows how much I fret and worry, I wished she wouldn't make me wait. I said that one more time as I turned the corner onto the street I don't normally walk on. Just as I turned the corner, I saw the front plate on a van. It was a picture of a big red rose and it said "Bed of Roses." I smiled and thanked St. Theresa.

However, skeptic that I am, I couldn't totally believe that was my rose (Yeah, you can shake your head at me now.) so I asked for another sign to let me know that rose was my sign. I went to the place I usually buy coffee & water before work. As I walked in the door, I noticed a penny on the floor. I'm sure most of you know that coins are signs from above. Anyway, I didn't pick up the penny because there were too many people around and I would have caused a traffic jam. But, as I was leaving the store, the penny was still there, so I picked it up, knowing it was the sign I'd asked for. How did I know? Well, I've often wondered if all the coins I find are really signs or messages from above. Yesterday, at least six people besides me walked by that penny and didn't pick it up. If it wasn't meant for me, wouldn't someone else have picked it up?

I don't know if any of this connects, or if anyone else believes this the way that I do but, it all made me feel better, so I guess that's the important thing.

No comments: