Saturday, March 05, 2005

Odds & Ends

I hadn't planned on starting with this one but, since it just happened & it's fresh in my mind here it is:

Some people should not be allowed to drive! I pulled into the post office parking lot (which is very small) at the same time a girl, who obviously didn't look in her rear view mirror, pulled out of a parking space and almost hit me. I was just mailing a card in the mail box outside the post office so I didn't park. I got behind this (I use the term loosely) driver who, aside from not knowing the purpose of a rear view mirror, doesn't read signs. Specifically, she ignored the "no left turn" sign and forced those of us behind her to wait until she made her illegal turn. Ugh!

Next ... The Academy Awards. I know a lot of people didn't like the new stream-lined version of the show. I did. As far as I'm concerned, they could speed it up even more. I realize I'm probably betraying my fellow writers and other artists but, c'mon, does anyone care about anyone beside the best actor/actress winners? Actually, now that I think about it, I don't really like the Oscars anymore. Give the Golden Globes any day.

And I don't care what any of the experts say about the best-dressed people there. I say it was a tie between Beyonce and Drew Barrymore.

When I was a kid, I sometimes wondered if, when I was my parents' age, I would like new music. That's because my parents, pretty much, didn't like any music that came out in the '70s. I'm happy to say that I just bought The Killers CD. Love it. I love Maroon 5, Train and, um, a couple others. But, I still love Elton John.

I'm glad Dan Abrams admitted that the Martha-Stewart-getting-out-of-prison coverage was stupid and would probably end up as an SNL sketch. I agree. So why the hell did I watch it?

Before starting its latest ad campaign, did Capital One say "How can we make David Spade even more annoying?"

Sometimes I really miss John Belushi and Gilda Radner.

As I was watching "Stripes" the other night, I realized that 2 of my 4 favorite Christmas movies have SNL alumni: Christmas Vacation and Scrooged. Wait. Make that 3 out of 4. I forgot Mary Gross was in The Santa Clause. BTW, my fourth favorite is "Miracle on 34th Street." "It's a Wonderful Life" comes in fifth.

No comments: