Saturday, March 26, 2005

Personal hygiene

Have you ever been in contact with someone who really stinks? I mean really stinks, so much so that you practically gag because the smell is just so overwhelming? So much so that the smell lingers after the person leaves the room? So much so that if you hang your coat next to this person's the smell permeates into your coat so you have to get it dry cleaned? I don't get it. Can't they smell themselves? Doesn't it gross them out, too? Or are they just so used to it that it doesn't bother them? But, I mean, really, they must know, mustn't they? Doesn't common sense tell you that if you don't take a shower or wash your clothes for a week you're going to stink?

I realize people have issues. One of the reason I got fat isn't that I didn't want to be attractive to guys (for reasons I've mentioned before but don't feel up to writing about now). But, I got over it, lost weight and I'm pretty much ok now. Are smelly people purposely trying to disgust other people so they won't get close to them?

I have a friend who had a hard time taking showers, or being around water at all, for that matter, because he was sexually abused as a child and the pervert used to make him perform oral sex in a swimming pool. But he eventually worked everything out.

So, see? I do understand about issues. I also understand about working them out. If, however, the issue is laziness, that's just fucking rude. Have a little consideration for the people you come in contact with everyday.

No comments: