Thursday, March 10, 2005

Trash Talking

Our trash is picked up on Thursday, which means we need to put it at the curb on Wednesday because they come anytime between 3 a.m. and 10 a.m. That's 3 A.M., people in my neighborhood! Not 3 P.M. on Wednesday. There is no reason to put your trash out on Wednesday afternoon or, even worse (as my across-the-street neighbors do), Wednesday morning. I've always wondered what these people do with the trash they generate after they put the trash-to-be-picked-up at the curb. Save it for a whole week? Apparently. That's just weird.

As for the ... OK. What's the politically correct term? I know it can't possibly be "garbagemen" anymore. Anyway, the garbagemen piss me off. I realize that after they dump the trash cans into the truck they can't be expected to put them back neatly on the curb where they found them. But, must they throw them back, blocking the entire sidewalk? They're called sidewalks because people walk on them. Every Thursday morning I have to go through an obstacle course of trash cans. It's really annoying. And, I'm sorry, I'm not going to stand every trash can along my route upright. As Freddie Prinze as "Chico" said "That's not my job." I do it sometimes, though, for some people whose trash cans I don't mind touching. But I digress. The other thing that's annoying, and potentially dangerous, about the garbagemen just throwing the trash cans wherever they please is that on one street the curb is a couple of feet above the street. Sometimes, the cans roll into the road. That's going to cause an accident someday, I'm sure.

No comments: