Sunday, March 27, 2005

Seinfeld vs. Real Life

Thanks to an episode of Seinfeld the "kiss hello" has been immortalized. If you'll remember, there was a problem with a woman Jerry didn't know that well (I think) giving him the "kiss hello," and he thought it was inappropriate. Comedy ensued. Anyway, because of that episode, there is little mention anywhere of another greeting, which can be misconstrued. The hug hello. I must admit I hadn't even given the hug hello much thought until this morning.

Let's add some background, shall we? There's this guy (Surprise! Me talking about a guy!) who I've known for quite some time. In the last year or so we've gotten to know each other a little better because I volunteer at a place where he is quite frequently. But I still consider us on the borderline between acquaintances and friends. When I first started volunteering at this place, I had fleeting thoughts about a relationship with this guy. But, when several months went by and nothing happened, I figured he wasn't interested.

Fast forward to this morning after church. I was walking through the parking lot, saw him getting into his car and waved. He got out of his car, waited 'til I walked up to him, and then he wished me a happy Easter and hugged me. Unlike the kiss hello, which was unwelcome, the hug hello, albeit unanticipated, was nice. So nice, in fact, that I was thinking Whoa. Can we do that again? Now, I hope I can explain this properly. The conversation we had was uncomfortable in a good kind of way. It was kind of like we were both saying "I haven't seen you in about six weeks and I missed you, but I'm too shy to tell you that so I'm going to make silly small talk about anything I can think of just so we can keep talking."

Ya know, sometimes the answer is right in front of you. You just have to open your eyes and look. Now I have to wonder if this is the answer. I'm sure you know updates will be forthcoming. ;)

No comments: