Saturday, October 30, 2004

Huh?

I was stocking up on NaNo supplies (You know, coffee, tea, Diet Coke, chocolate ... Do you see a theme?) at Wal-Mart. One of the things I bought was a little bag of pistaschios. The cashier asked "Do you want these left out?" Did I look that hungry? If I did it was because I was salivating in anticipation of the pre-made spinach salad I was going to eat when I got home. Pack of gum. Bottle of soda or water. Pack of smokes. Those I can understand, I was thinking. But nuts? Then it hit me. There actually are people who can't wait to get to the car to eat their "snack." Case in point: The child in front of me in line who is about 40 pounds overweight. He kept begging his father for a snack. The father gave in. The child chose a full-size bag of Combos. I heard the cashier ask them if they wanted something left out. As I walked by the kid sitting on a bench munching on the Combos as his father talked to someone, I realized that's what it was. The day before trick-or-treating and the father let the kid have a full-size bag of Combos as a snack? Poor kid.

No comments: