Saturday, October 23, 2004

St. Theresa

OK. I'll admit it. I'm a semi-lapsed Catholic. For about a year, though, I've been going to church pretty regularly. Then I stopped because I like to go on Saturday night, and I've had other stuff going on. Other stuff. Good reason, huh? Anyway, I'm not really big on Catholic prayers like the rosary & stuff but, sometimes I do fall back on that stuff because it makes me feel, well, it's comforting, I guess, because it's what I grew up with. I also believe in praying to St. Anthony if you lose something. It really works! Well, the other night at work we were talking about St. Theresa and I decided to do some research on her and learned that if she hears your prayers she'll send you roses. I was thinking "That's what I need. I real, physical sign that I know the meaning of."

So, I said this little prayer: "St. Theresa, the little flower, please pick me a rose from the heavenly garden and send it to me with a message of love. Ask God to grant me the favor I thee implore (state request here) and tell him I will love him more and more." Then you're supposed to say 5 each of Lord's Prayer, Hail Mary and Glory Be on 5 consecutive days. On the fifth day, you add one each of the prayers and tell people about it. If you see a rose within five days of finishing this, your prayers have been answered. I'd also heard that you don't have to go through all that. Just pray and she'll answer.

It was worth a shot, right? So, before I went to bed Thursday night I prayed to St. Theresa. On Friday I didn't see any roses. I was a little depressed about that and was talking to myself about while I was walking home. As I was talking to myself, I looked up and a woman had walked in front me. On the back of her jacket was a pink rose. Skeptic that I am, however, I wasn't sure if that kind of rose counted.

I didn't know until I talked to my mom about it that my sister prays to St. Theresa all the time so I asked her if it had to be real roses. She told me that when she was desperately looking for a house while she was pregnant with her third son that she prayed to St. Theresa. Right after that, she was compelled to go to this place that rents houses. The rental agent's name was Rose St. Clair and the house was perfect for her. She told me I would "just know" if I was getting a sign.

After she told me that, I wanted to believe the rose on the jacket was a sign but I still wasn't sure, and she said I would be sure. But I'm must more skeptical about this stuff than she is. Anyway, I was also thinking that maybe I should go to church today just to show God and everyone how serious I am about this. But I was also thinking that I didn't really want to go. I went back and forth on that for hours. Anyway, I did the St. Theresa prayer thing then went to play WEBoggle. In the first game some of the words were rose, roses, rosier, rosette, rosettes and saint. Yeah. I think that was my sign. In the next game were the words church and pew. Yeah. I went to Mass.

No comments: