Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Penultimate BB6 Post, Plus Some Other Stuff

As much as I dislike Maggie, I want her to win. Why? So Ivette realizes she made the wrong choice by picking "The Friendship" over the money. Normally, I would say that picking a friend over money is a good thing. However, this is a game and the object of it is to win $500,000. For weeks, Ivette said she was playing for her family because they need the money so badly. But when Janelle offered her a deal, she didn't take it. As Janelle said in her final question to Ivette (according to a BB6 message board), by not taking the deal she threw away $450,000. Is a friendship with Maggie, a manipulative wench, really worth that much money?

Anyway, I'm still lovin' the job. I worked on the newsletter today. I have never worked with MS Publisher before but, I found it's easier than Quark so I'm not really having a problem. The only bad thing about working there is that I had to switch places where I get my morning coffee. I like my favorite place better (hence, the reason it's my favorite place) but my second favorite place is donating 25 cents for every cup of coffee they sell to the Red Cross for hurricane relief. I guess it wouldn't look too good if I was carrying around a cup from the other place.

Play practice is going well. We got our revised SFX scripts last night and, for our first run-through with the added sound effects, we did a pretty good job, I think. At one point, I had to crinkle a plastic bag to make a crackling fire sound. When I was finished, the tech director/sound guy/playwright came over and told me it took him a couple of seconds to realize the static in his headphones was actually my sound effect. That was a good thing. Tonight, he's bringing extra headphones so we get to actually hear the sounds the way the audience will. As a side note, ever since I started taking the anti-depressant, I've noticed I bruise a lot easier. I'm accident prone so it's not unusual for me to find bruises and have no idea where they came from. Now it's worse. However, this morning I did know how I got the bruise on the palm of my hand. One of my sound effects involves pounding a big, plastic trash can on the floor so it sounds like the gigantic alien walkers. Until last night, I was just dropping the trash can. But we decided pounding it was better. Unfortunately, the pressure of holding and banging, bruised my hand. Good thing I love theater. ;) There is a plus side, though. When I bang the trash can, I get to take out all my agressions.

Speaking of agressions, I have one less thing to be upset about now. After more than three years, my nightmare is over. It feels pretty good when the Superior Court rules in your favor. And the story even gave me a little free publicity for my book, Actual Malice.

2 comments:

Uncle Crappy said...

Wow. As nightmares go, that's a big one. I've always been scared to death of being sued, mostly because I've always guessed that everyone (sources/public anyway) would just assume I was guilty, no matter what. Were the folks at the Era behind you through this whole thing?

Anne said...

99.9 percent of the employees were behind me. The publisher and managing editor even told me they were two of the best stories the paper ever published and I did nothing wrong. My sources were all behind me, too. The one the cop said I "lied" about died in between the time of his deposition and the appeal, so there's no way that could have been verified. BTW, I didn't lie.

Before play practice Tuesday night, the director (who works at the paper, and did back when I was an intern in 1981, too) congratulated me on winning and I got a big round of applause.

One of my best friends, who used to be an editor at the paper, told me someone threatened her with a lawsuit many years ago. A man who is a judge now told her that being sued for libel and winning is a badge of honor. It should tell people that you went out on a limb to uncover an injustice. I've been trying to keep that in mind during the whole thing. ... It was still a nightmare, and in the back of my mind every day for all this time.