Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Yet Another Weird Dream

The Best Friend and I have a mutual friend (let's call him "John") who we haven't heard from in ages. Actually, I haven't heard from him since graduation. I think The Best Friend has seen him once since then. Every once in a while, The Best Friend and I wonder what happened to him. We think he's a doctor of some kind, though. So, anyway, here's the dream.

I was at my grandparents' house and there was some kind of family gathering because my sister and her kids were there. There was some kind of commotion outside so I went to see what it was. There was a car being towed away. I looked at the guy who was putting the car on the tow truck. It was John. I smiled at him and, eventually, he realized it was me, smiled, then walked up the stairs to come and talk to me. We talked for a while, then decided to go someplace, have coffee and talk some more. I went inside to tell everyone I was leaving. My sister got all pissy and said something sarcastic like "Sure, you go have a good time. Don't worry about anything that's going on here." I said "I know you just had a fight with your husband but don't take it out on me." (In the dream, I knew I was talking about her ex-husband, not her current husband, with whom she has a great relationship.) Then I left with John. He told me to get in the tow truck, which I did. Then, before I knew it, the truck just started moving. Before he got in. I kept trying to look around to see if I could see him somewhere, thinking that there was some other way he could have control of the truck other than being in the driver's seat. Although the truck was going really fast, it seemed to be under control. Anyway, that's all of that dream I remember. I think, since I had weird driving dreams in which I wasn't in control two nights in row, it's my subconscious worrying about the crazy drivers around here.

You know what? Now I know that's what it is. Just as I was typing that, I remembered something that happened when I was driving home from play practice last night. I was at a four-way-stop-sign intersection. When I got to my stop sign, there wasn't anyone else at the other stops. Just as I was about to pull into the intersection, a car came zooming up the street, didn't stop at the stop sign, then whipped through the intersection right in front of me. As the vehicle went by me, I noticed that it was an unmarked cop car. No excuse. If I wasn't a conscientious driver, there would have been an accident, and it would have been the cop's fault. Doubtful the courts would see it that way, though.

No comments: