Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Role Reversal

You know how it's said that when parents and their adult children get older there's a role reversal and the children are the "parents" to the parents? Well, I never felt that way with my Mom. For years, I've done things for her that, growing up, she did for me. But maybe it's because that's always the way it's been in my family that I never felt like the "parent." Until today. She hasn't felt well enough to drive for a few weeks. Today, she felt as if she could. So, as she got in the car and got herself situated, I peeked through the front window to make sure everything was OK. When she drove past the house, I went out onto the front porch and watched her drive down the street and around the corner. I felt like a mother watching her 16-year-old daughter drive away for the first time after getting her driver's license.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This just seems to happen one day...out of the blue. The final step when a child becomes an adult. And it is so sad but beautiful at the same time.