Sunday, September 04, 2005

The Red Cross

I called our local chapter of The Red Cross on Thursday to get my volunteering schedule for Meals on Wheels. The chapter's director answered the phone & we chatted for a while because I haven't seen him in months, since about a week before my surgery. He jokingly asked if I wanted to go to Louisiana. I said that actually I did want to go but I'm not quite up to that yet. I wish I was.

But the more I thought about, and the more I watched news reports about the devastation, I realized the clean-up will be going on long after I'm feeling better. As good as I feel most of the time, I'm still very tired. Just working those two extra hours a day on the play is wiping me out. I was in bed, almost continuously, from 2 p.m. Friday to 9 a.m. Saturday. One of the requirements for disaster relief workers is being able to work long hours. Seeing as I still need to take naps during the day so I don't get sick, I wouldn't be very useful.

But, that shouldn't be the case for much longer. So, the next time The Red Cross offers a disaster relief course, I'm going to take it.

Then, I'll just have to figure out what to do with my Mom while I'm gone and I'll be all set to help. For now, the best I can do is send money. And prayers.

4 comments:

Margaret said...

Good for you! Be sure you are ready before you go, recovery does take a toll. However, as you observed, the need will still be there when you are ready.

Ayannali said...

Good for you.

I wish I could take time off to do the courses and volunteer. I do know that the govenor of CT is giving the State employees up to 10 days paid leave to do training and go volunteer to help with the releif effort.

When you feel better I know you will contribute as well :)

Prahalathan said...

Don't feel guilty cos ur unable to go personally help...
U are 40 and still counting days to your Birthday!?!?!

nice Blog...

Anne said...

Most of the best things in my life happened after I turned 40 so, yes, I'm counting down the days to my birthday. I love being in my 40s. :)