Monday, August 02, 2004

Kindness, etc.

I usually don't write about nice things I do for other people because I don't do it for the recognition. What I did today I didn't do for the recognition either but I'm writing about it because I think, in a small way, I made the day of a lot of people.

I was at the state park & the person I was with was getting food at the snack bar while I was sitting at the only available shady picnic table. A grandmother & her two grandsons sat at my table. Then the boys' mother & sister came and sat down, too. The mother left, leaving the grandmother with three little kids, all under 6, who all wanted ice cream. She had her hands full, to say the least. A few minutes after they left, I noticed some money on the end of the table. From where I was sitting, I could see them at the beach so after I ate, I took it back to her.

That's not the cool part. What's cool is that she told everyone who was around her what I had just done. Then she walked to the group of people she was with, a few hundred feet away, and told them what I had done. No one could believe it. As I was walking away from the beach, people were just looking at me as if I'd done some miraculous thing. All I did was return $4.75 to its rightful owner.

Then, when I got home & downloaded the photos I'd taken I realized I'd taken pictures of the grandmother & her family.



I think I have their picture as a reminder to me that little things mean a lot sometimes.

No comments: