Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Complications

I stayed here instead of moving back to California because it was quite obvious, even before any medical professionals weighed in on the subject, that my mother can't live by herself. She can go days, even weeks, without needing any help. But when she does, she does, and it's just easier for me to be there. As a sidenote, I wish people would stop asking me if I'm back here for good. My answer is always "I'm here until my mother doesn't need me anymore." She'll be 77 next month, has congestive heart failure, is on oxygen 24/7 and lost most of the use of her left arm due to a stroke (and she's left-handed) so what do you think "until she doesn't need me anymore" means? Please, people. Don't make me say it.

Anyway, because I'll have to have surgery (as I said, I'm hoping for the least invasive kind) I'll be out of commission for a little while. I'm not going to speculate on how long because I have no idea how serious everything is yet. So, I've been worried about what to do about Mom. Well, I just found out my brother is going to be here at the end of the month, for a week. (He lives 9 hours away. My sister lives 3 hours away.) So, if we can hold off on the surgery until then, all should be well.

I told my mom I don't want my brother and sister to know yet what's going on with me, simply because I don't know exactly yet so there's no need for them to worry. I'm doing enough worrying for all of us.

No comments: