Friday, April 01, 2005

My Grandma was Cool

Every year on April 1 when my brother, sister & I were little we would go to my grandparents' house and my mom would always say "Remember to tell Grandma her shoe is untied, and when she looks down say 'April Fools!'" So, we did. Every year, Grandma would laugh, we'd laugh. I was about 7 or 8 when I said to myself "Wow. Grandma falls for that every year. I guess old people do forget things." It wasn't until a couple years later that I realized she was just humoring us.

This doesn't have anything to do with April Fools but it's about my Grandma. She was a wonderful and prolific baker. Pies and bread were her specialties. One day I was helping her bake apple pies by peeling the apples. I thought I was doing a pretty good job until, in her heavy Italian accent, she said "The way some people peel apples bothers me. You're one of them." I couldn't help but laugh. Then, she did teach me how to do it right.

OK. I can't resist.
Q: If April showers bring May flowers, what do May flowers bring?
A: Pilgrims.
You can stop rolling your eyes now.

No comments: