Saturday, April 09, 2005

Cookies

Give me a freakin' break! No more "'C' is for cookie .." What's up with that? Yeah, I understand the politically correct, our kids are fat thing but, for heaven's sake, you can't change an American institution like that. And you know what, it's not Cookie Monster's fault kids are fat. Maybe it's time to make parents, not television, responsible for their children.

Here's a true story that shows that television doesn't have as much of an influence on some kids as some people would like us to believe.

At Christmas time, I wanted to make sure everything was perfect for my little nephews. I made sure I had lots of cookies and sweet treats for them. But when my 2 1/2 year old nephew walked into the kitchen and saw the veggie tray he exclaimed "Broccoli!" He grabbed a piece, took and big bite, then grabbed a carrot, too. He didn't even eat a cookie all day. My sister told me that a few days earlier the little guy asked for carrot. She said she was too tired to peel a carrot for him and asked if he'd like a cookie instead. "No," he cried, "I want a carrot."

So there, Sesame Street, and the people who decided to change Cookie Monster. Take that!

No comments: