Wednesday, April 06, 2005

More tales of the traffic-law-challenged

I'll think of a better title soon. I'm sure there will be other installments of this feature.

Last night I was stopped at a red light with my left turn signal on. I heard honking from the vehicle behind me. I turned around, thinking the driver knew me and just wanted to wave "hello." Well, there was hand-waving but not the friendly greeting kind. The honking and hand-waving continued until the light turned green. Because of my self-esteem issues I asked myself "Did they just pass a left-on-red law that I didn't hear about?"

About an hour ago, I was driving out of Wal-Mart, where the speed limit is 25. The car ahead of me was going 15. It was also straddling the line between the center turning lane and the right driving lane. The vehicle did not turn left. It then moved into the right lane. As we got to the end of the road and the traffic light, I assumed the car ahead of me would make a right turn because it was in the right lane. I turned on my left turn signal and started to pass the car. When I was just inches from passing, the car pulled into the left lane. We waited at the red light. When the light changed, the car ahead of me turned, then stopped. The left turn signal went on because the driver wanted to go back into Wal-Mart. Problem? There were four vehicles behind this car that had now blocked oncoming traffic. After much horn-honking by all of us, the driver re-thought the left turn and went straight. I would comment on the next half-mile of going 25 in a 35 (except when he crossed the railroad tracks going 10mph) but it would just get me angry all over again.

Speaking of angry, I'm not done with stupid motorists yet. A block from my house I was following an older lady in her car. She stopped on the non-parking side of the street. I assumed she was letting someone out or in because she was a good foot or so from the curb. No. She was parking. Not only was she parking, she spent a good four or five minutes getting out of the car, getting her crutches out, getting situated and getting the hell out of the road. (I'm not criticizing her need for crutches. I'm commenting on her stupidity.) I'm sorry she needs to be on crutches for whatever reason but does that give her the right to hold up traffic, and back it up for an entire block?

No comments: