Monday, April 04, 2005

I'm not a good sick person

I don't deal well with sickness, discomfort and, especially, pain. The only good thing about any of this is that I know I'm not as much of a hypochondriac as I thought I was. The pain is real, and all the other symptoms that go along with this thing are real, too. As I said in a previous post, however, knowing that it's real doesn't make dealing with it any easier.

Anyway, being sick and knowing that I'm going to have some kind of surgery (I'm hoping for the least invasive kind) has made me think even more about Living Wills, if it's even possible for me to think about that even more. I've made it quite clear to everyone I know that if I can't read, write or enjoy watching movies, pull the plug. This includes a feeding tube. I don't even care if there's a debate on whether I'm in a persistent vegetative state or if I'm minimally conscious. No artifical stuff. Got it? Moreover, if someone doesn't get it and hooks me up to something anyway and there's a debate on whether to pull the plug and/or tubes, do not, I repeat, do not distribute videotapes of me to every news organization in the free world so people I don't even know can pontificate on whether I should live or die. And please, for the love of God, do not allow Tom Delay to weigh in on the debate. To me, that would be worse than a slow death.

No comments: