Saturday, April 02, 2005

Ya can't make this stuff up

I think we all need a little respite from the death, dying and disease. Here it is:

After work, I stopped at the convenience store to get a cup of decaf. At midnight, they close down their registers, and can't reopen them until they're both Z'd out. In those few mintues, the clerk has to do everything by hand which, obviously, takes a little longer. Tonight, it took even longer than usual because there was a new girl on.

At first, I thought it was my imagination that the woman ahead of me in line was getting increasingly nervous with each person who got behind us in line. As she put her items on the counter, she blushed. Her items were 4 chocolate covered cherries, a 99 cent package of roasted almonds and a box of condoms. The clerk had to write down all the items, and their prices, on a piece of paper so she could ring them in later. You guessed it. She didn't know the price of the condoms and had to ask. The woman got even redder. The clerk then told her the total. $4.78. The woman handed her a $50. Seeing as her cash drawer was practically new, which I assume means she only had $100 in it, she didn't have change, which meant the woman's items had to stay on the counter even longer while the clerk went to the back to get change. There was something going through my head as I looked at the odd collection of items. I didn't have the guts to say it out loud. A man behind me did. "Nuts, cherries and rubbers? Yeah. That fits."

See? I told ya you can't make that stuff up. Maybe it was funnier while it was happening but, it made me chuckle.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled death watch ... or divine miracle, as the case may be.

Wouldn't it be something if the Pope pulled through? Wouldn't that be the perfect way for God to say "See, people. I am still around and I do still perform miracles."

No comments: