Saturday, July 24, 2004

Movies 4

Next on my list is Apollo 13. I think I like it so much because it's a true story of triumph over tragedy. I'm also fascinated by how the minds of the people at NASA work. I can't even do math and they figured out how to get those guys back to Earth! My favorite scene is when the spacecraft re-enters the atmosphere and everyone starts cheering. From reading Gene Kranz's book, I know that part wasn't exactly true (The folks at Mission Control didn't cheer until the end) but I get teary-eyed every time I see it.

The next movie I couldn't fit onto the list is Forrest Gump. What's not to like about this movie? Well, there is one thing. The part when he's running & the guy comes up with the smiley face "Have a Nice Day" T-shirt? Those were popular in the early 70s when I was like 12 or 13. The running part happened in the late 70s. He started running in 1976. Remember he & Jenny watching the Bicentennial stuff on tv? So, that's my least favorite scene. I'm not sure I have a favorite although I do like the part when Forrest & Jenny are in Washington and she's getting on the bus to go back to California and Forrest says he thinks she should go back to Greenbow, Alabama. I like the way he says it, that's all. And that's all I have to say about that.

No comments: