Friday, August 26, 2005

Common Courtesy

I worked in a restaurant and in convenience stores. At both places I was taught how to politely ring people out at the cash register. One of the things I was taught was to say "thank you" to each and every customer. You are thanking them for patronizing your business, I was taught. Also, I was taught to hand people their loose change before handing them the bills. Aside from the fact that it's the easiest way to count back change (a lost art, I believe), it's easier for the customer to handle if it's done that way. I was also taught to say something like "Enjoy the sunshine" or "Don't get too wet out there" as the customers left. We were encouraged not to use the generic "Have a nice day" so it would seem more personal.

That, dear readers, is why I get so angry frustrated when cashiers/clerks/people at the cash register (Sorry, but I don't know the politically correct term) are rude or apathetic. I won't get into everything that bothers me but one thing that really bothers me is no eye contact. That's the least they can do. Another is when I say "Thank you" and they say "You're welcome." You are supposed to be thanking me for spending money in your store. When I used to be behind the cash register, if a customer said "thank you" before I did, I always said "You're welcome ... and thank you." C'mon. Is it really that difficult?

OK. I'm finished ranting now.

Enjoy the weekend!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree. I too worked as a cashier when I was a student and was taught to be polite and friendly. So, I make sure I am friendly and appreciative of workers in stores, etc. when I shop because I know how tough it can be.

So it really bugs me when I run into (increasingly so) cashiers and other people who are just apathetic or rude or who give you the impression they are doing you the biggest favor.

Am I imagining it or is this rudeness more prevalent now?

Anne said...

I think it's more prevalent now. The reason I made this post is that two cashiers this morning were rude. One didn't even look at me or talk to me except to tell me how much I owed her. The other just looked as if she didn't want to be there and was taking it out on all of her customers.

gypsyfenix said...

I totally agree with you, Anne.
I've been in retail off and on for over 30 years and nothing annoys me more than a cashier that says nothing or doesn't acknowledge me beyond telling me the price and handing me my change.
Unless of course, it's a cashier too busy talking with his coworker to wait on me.

Anne said...

Oh my gosh, Dani! I forgot to post about that. I hate that, or when they're talking to a boyfriend/girlfriend/family member who's just there visiting.

Margaret said...

That is quite a frustration for me as well. It doesn't take any more energy to be friendly than to be sullen. Smiling doesn't cost you a cent. I know that good customers are getting rarer along with good customer service, but it just doesn't seem to be *that* difficult.