Saturday, August 06, 2005

Post #21

The couple of times I told my mother I felt my abdomen getting harder, I'm not really sure if she didn't believe me or if she was afraid to think the worst. Right now, I'm going to believe the latter. Anyway, I was still in a bit of a state of shock when I got home and told her I had an enlarged uterus. I think that put her in a state of shock as well.

When the shock started wearing off, I did what I usually do when I need “more input,” in the infamous words of Johnny 5 from “Short Circuit.” I turned to the Internet. What I learned is that the most common reason for an enlarged uterus is fibroid tumors. Thankfully, I also learned that these tumors are rarely malignant.

I did as much research as my brain would allow and learned as much as I could about fibroids. I learned about all the treatment options, one of which was a hysterectomy, although I didn't think it would come to that. I thought an in-office procedure might take care of it.

During my research, I discovered the best site on the Internet: Hyster Sisters. If you're looking at the possibility of a hysterectomy, or have had one and have questions, I highly recommend this site!

No comments: