Saturday, August 06, 2005

Post #27

You know, three hours ago I didn't think I was gonna make it through this thing. I wonder what happened? Oh yeah! Peanut butter cups=chocolate=caffeine=Anne getting her second wind.

OK. Let's get to the hospital, shall we?


I knew I wouldn't be able to sleep the night before the surgery. I had to be at the hospital at 6 a.m. I finally fell asleep sometime around 3 or 4 a.m., I think. By 5:15, I was awake again and figured I might as well get ready.

Because of all my mom's medical problems over the last 15 years, we've been in and out of the hospital a lot together. After I parked the car, as we were walking toward the hospital door, I handed her the car key. She looked confused. I said, “It didn't hit you until just now that it's me, not you, going to the hospital, did it?” She admitted it and we kind of got a laugh out of that.

Inside the hospital, she went to the surgical waiting room for families. I went to admissions. I expected to go to the waiting room with her after talking to the admissions people but, instead, I was whisked away to the lab. They had to do one more blood test. I didn't ask what it was for; I just wanted it to be over with. After that, I was told to go to the pre-surgery area. I'd been there with my mom a couple of times but, it looks so different when you're the patient.

My nurse was Kimberly, a friend of my sister's who I've known since high school. Having her as my nurse was nice, comforting. She had me change into a hospital gown and put on a pair of tight stockings (I can't remember what they're called) to keep me from getting blood clots in my legs. After that, she started an IV (I don't remember what was in it) and asked me some questions. They were pretty much the same questions I'd been asked during the pre-op appointment, just basic medical history. When that was finished, she brought my mom in. We didn't really talk about anything but it was nice having her there.

No comments: