Saturday, August 06, 2005

Post #3

Let's start at the beginning. From the very first day of my very first period I had problems. Remember the movies they showed in school letting the girls know what to expect as they “blossomed into womanhood?” So, of course I had heard about cramps and was expecting them. But no one ever told me just how painful they would be. I was also told they only last for the first few hours of the first day. I can probably count on my fingers, and not use all of them, how many times in 33 years I had cramps only for a few hours and, for that matter, only on the first day. No one ever told me the pain would be so bad I'd be nauseated and, many times, have to vomit for hours because of it. No one told me about the migraines and the weakness in my legs so bad that I had trouble going up and down stairs.

I had complained ... OK. Let's be honest. I whined to my mother about how bad I felt. Her reply was always something along the lines of “You have to give your body time to adjust and regulate.”

It never did. I think 33 years was long enough to wait, don't you?

No comments: