Saturday, August 06, 2005

Post #14

Despite all the good things that happened in California, one bad thing happened. I gained more than 100 pounds. I was overweight when I left so, in January 2003, after I'd moved back to Pennsylvania and forced myself to step on a scale, I learned that I was about 150 pounds overweight. Yikes! You see, my life was so depressing when I moved that I thought all I wanted was to play on the Internet (my job was 'net-related, too), watch movies and eat fast food all day. You know the old saying “Be careful what you wish for ...?” Well. Yeah. Anyway, that's why I didn't go to a doctor with my gynecological problems. I was afraid a doctor would tell me to loose 100 pounds and everything would be fine. So, I put myself on a strict diet and exercise program and, by the time I went to see my general practioner in May 2004 I had lost more than 100 pounds. Eventually, I lost 125. (More on the weight frustration later.) The doctor told me my cholesterol was a little high but, with diet and exercise it could be brought down. He also asked me about my periods. When I told him they had gotten more irregular and I was passing a lot of clots, he asked me when my last GYN visit was. When I told him, he said I should at least make an appointment for a Pap test. Then he told me to come back in August so he could check my cholesterol again.

No comments: