Monday, August 15, 2005

Hints From Heloise

I only read this column in the newspaper for the humor factor. At least four times a week I find myself laughing and thinking "Did you think that up all by yourself?" I mean, I can't believe these people are lame enough to think their ideas are new, and that no one ever thought of them before. But then, the worst part is that "Heloise" and her people decided to print them! Here are a few examples:

1) If you live alone, instead of cutting a recipe for four people in fourths, cook the whole thing and freeze the other three portions for later. ... Brilliant!

2) Use old grocery bags to line your trash cans to save money on store-bought trash can liners. ... Genius!

And lest you think these hints come from 20-somethings who were pampered at home and learned these tips when they started living on their own, here's a gem from a grandmother who is now passing her expertise onto her grandchildren and other young adults who are heading off to college in the fall:

While you're getting ready to go away to college, make a list of everything you'll need. Use this list when you're packing so you don't forget anything.

Oh my God! Just think of all the college kids who, for hundreds of years, packed without using a list. Just think of all the headaches that could have been avoided if this woman had passed her tip along sooner. How dare she keep that secret to herself all these years!

7 comments:

Deb @ Sugarfused said...

Heh! You are so right lol!

I don't know about you, but I could use some NEW hints ;~)

...just-rambling... said...

I was just thinking something similar the other day when I was reading a "ways to save money" article.

Unknown said...

Some more *valuable* hints:

1. Use those cute refrigerator magnets to hold up notes and children's artwork.

2. Make a grocery shopping list. This will really cut down on time wandering around aimlessly in the aisles.

3. If you want to keep a journal, put it on the Internet and call it...oh I don't know...a blog?

:-)

Anne said...

Good ones! LOL

Margaret said...

Yeah, it always seems to be the same stuff over and over. I can't wait to make a jewelry box out of an egg carton!

Jenny said...

I enjoy saying Hell-low-weeeeeeze in a very slow drawl, but other than that, I have to agree on the lame 'advice' the column offers. They should just call it common sense and be done with it.

Anne said...

I'm so glad I'm not alone in this! :)