Saturday, August 06, 2005

Post #25

Again, thanks to Hyster Sisters I knew what to do to prepare for surgery, my stay in the hospital and recovery at home. My surgery was on a Thursday. The doctor told me to expect to be in the hospital until Monday but, if all went well, I could possibly be home by Sunday. I told myself to shoot for Sunday.

Be that as it may, I knew I'd have some major preparations to make so I didn't have any problems getting around once I got home. I live in a two-story house with only one bathroom. It's upstairs; the kitchen is downstairs. I couldn't have my mother waiting on me in case I wasn't up to using the stairs for any length of time so, I stocked up on low-carb cereral, cereal bars, peanut butter (and I don't remember what else) and put them in my bedroom.

I also did all, all, my laundry so I wouldn't have to worry about that for a while. I made sure I had plenty of comfy pajamas and other clothes that wouldn't rub against my incision (six-inch bikini cut). I even bought a pair of nurse's scrubs because they looked comfortable.

Another thing I did was buy a new set of sheets for my bed that I knew would never be stained because of flooding or unexpected periods.

On the Saturday before my surgery I got the worst period of my entire life, no exaggeration. As a Hyster Sister told me when I posted about that: “Sounds as if Aunt Flo found out about her eviction notice and wasn't happy about it.” How can you not LOL at that? Because I wasn't allowed to take anything besides Tylenol five days prior to surgery, I had to suffer. Tylenol does absolutely nothing for me. I was actually crying and doubled over in pain. Any doubts I had about going through with the surgery were taken away. It was as if it was a sign from above telling me I was doing the right thing.

On that day, my mother said one of the nicest things she's ever said to me: “I wish I could give you a hug big enough to make it all go away.” I wished that, too.

No comments: