Saturday, August 06, 2005

Post #4

As if high school wasn't bad enough, I had to deal with increasingly worse periods. I'm pretty sure that any of my classmates who were paying attention knew exactly when I had my period. Several times, I spent at least one class period in the nurse's office with a period-related migraine. While, during the rest of the month, I only used the restroom once or twice a day, during that time of the month, I needed to go every couple of hours. Many times, I even begged my mother to let me stay home from school because the cramps and other symptoms were unbearable. One day when she wouldn't let me stay home, I almost fainted during an English class. Instead, I put my head down on my desk and forced myself not to cry. A nun, trying to be helpful, gave me a couple of vitamin pills. I appreciated the thought but, it didn't help. It also didn't help that my classmates now thought Sister So-and-So was dealing drugs. ;)

During this time, I asked my mother if I could take Midol or Pamprin. She couldn't believe or understand that aspirin, Tylenol or Bufferin just weren't working, so she wouldn't buy it for me. I used my allowance and babysitting money to buy it because I needed some relief. Although it helped slightly more than other pain relievers, I was really never pain-free. I think my mother truly believed that I was a hypochondriac or that I was looking for attention. I know she didn't believe everything was as bad as I said it was.

As I got ready to go away to college, I hoped that I would find someone else who was experiencing the same things I was.

No comments: