Monday, August 08, 2005

Then she had to go and ruin it for me

Most people, even those who don't smoke, probably know this. People selling cigarettes are required to ask for ID from anyone they don't think is 30 years old. Although it's legal to buy cigarettes at age 21, 30 gives the seller a little bit of a buffer. So, I was at a convenience store a few minutes ago (my third favorite, where not all the people know me). This is what happened:

ME: May I have a pack of Kools please?
CLERK: Can I see some ID?
ME (flattered, but not sure I heard her correctly): Excuse me?
CLERK: ID. I need some ID.
ME (handing her my wallet): Uh, sure. OK.
CLERK: Can you take it out of that?
ME: You got it.
CLERK (after using the calculator): Did you say Kools?
ME: Yep.
CLERK (after the transaction): Have a good day ma'am.

So, when I walked in she didn't think I was 30. By the time I walked out I was "ma'am." *shaking my head*

2 comments:

Margaret said...

Take the compliment, forget the ma'am. I'm 40 (and don't get carded for cigs since I quit 5 weeks ago), and I sometimes call people ma'am that are younger than I am. Maybe it's the southern thing with me. Thanks for stopping by--I'll be back here to visit again.

Anne said...

Thanks Sophie!

I am looking on the bright side of the whole "ma'am" thing. Actually, I kind of felt younger all day. lol