Saturday, August 06, 2005

Post #28

I don't remember how long I'd been laying there before the anesthesiologist came in. He asked more questions, more medical history. I told him I have a weak stomach and was afraid of being nauseated by whatever he was going to give me. He made a note of that and told me it wouldn't be a problem. Then he asked if anyone in my family had ever had a problem with any kind of anesthesia. I deferred to my mom. When she had surgery after her stroke, she had a bad reaction to (and I'm not even going to pretend to know how to spell this) succinolcholine. Bad is an understatement. It left her paralyzed and in ICU with a breathing tube for about 24 hours. The anesthesiologist said that was very important to know because reactions to that can be genetic.

Prior to surgery, my biggest fear was being “put under” and never waking up or, even worse, ending up in a vegetative state. I even told everyone I know .... well, anyone who would listen ... that if something went terribly wrong and we had a Teri Schiavo situation on our hands, if I couldn't read or write or enjoy movies, there was no point in my living.

Talking with the anesthesiologist calmed most of my fears.

No comments: