Thursday, August 25, 2005

I Hate Blood Tests

When I went to the doctor last Tuesday, he orderd blood tests. I could go anytime I wanted before next Wednesday. Letting me decide when to go is not a good thing. It's better to tell me to be someplace on a designated day and time. I tend to procrastinate, especially when needles and pain are involved. But that's not the real reason I put it off so long. The tests were of the "nothing to eat or drink after midnight" variety. For a week, I kept waking up in the middle of the night, forgetting about the tests and drinking water because I was thirsty. But last night I slept really well and didn't wake up 'til 7 a.m. So, I got dressed, drove to the hospital and had the blood drawn.

I have a very low tolerance for pain so I really hate it when the lab tech says "You'll feel a little pinch" before she sticks me. Makes me want to pinch her back because it's never "little" and it's never just a "pinch." So, when she was finished, instead of putting that non-tape stuff on my arm to keep the cotton ball in place, she put tape on. And it wasn't the good surgical tape that comes off really easy. It was stickier than a band-aid and took me around half an hour to get if off, along with a few arm hairs. Ouch!

But, on the good side, I got a good parking place and the lab wasn't crowded so I got right in. I didn't even have to sit in the waiting room at all.

1 comment:

kewpiedoll said...

I have a rather high pain tolerance so I actually enjoy watching my blood getting sucked from my vein and into those little vials...graphic much? ;D