Saturday, August 06, 2005

Post #22

I've had a few ultrasounds for gastro-intestinal problems (which I now believe were uterus-related) so I thought I knew what to expect. I have no idea why the thought never crossed my mind that it would be an internal ultrasound. Yikes! But at least I did the gynecologist shave and shower so I wasn't embarrassed (Well, any more than usual when going to the GYN). The doctor kept apologizing for hurting me. I kept telling him it wasn't bad. When he apologized again I said “It's not all that uncomfortable but I'll wince and whine if it'll make you feel better.” We were definitely in need of a light moment. Anyway, he told me the reason he was poking and prodding so much is that he was looking for my ovaries and that it was good thing that he was having trouble finding them. It meant they weren't enlarged and were probably fine. (Turns out there was no “probably.” They were, and are, fine, albeit a little slow in learning that I don't have a uterus anymore.)

The one and only thing that bothered me about this doctor is that, during the ultrasound, before he told me exactly what the problem was, he pointed to the screen and showed Molly where all the tumors were. I'm just glad I did my 'net research so I knew what to expect before he told me.

When the ultrasound was over, he told me I had five tumors. In non-medical terms, they were the size of golf balls. He showed me the ultrasound and pointed to them, showing me the difference between my uterus and the tumors. After discussing this for a while, he told me a hysterectomy would be the best option.

Although I knew this was a possibility, I wasn't quite ready to hear it.

No comments: