Saturday, August 06, 2005

Post #24

About 2 weeks before the surgery, I developed a monster case of bronchitis. I was so afraid the surgery would have to be postponed. I'd managed to come to terms with all of it and the last thing I needed was to wait any longer. But, the morning of my pre-op appointment, May 6, I was fine. Weird.

Because of Hyster Sisters, I knew what to expect during the pre-op appointment. The nurse who asked me all the questions even commented on the fact that this was one of the fastest, easiest pre-op appointments she'd ever done. After the questions and tests, it was time to go to the doctor's office again to sign some papers and talk a little more.

It was one of the coolest doctor's appointments I'd ever had. We talked more about personal, non-medical stuff, than we did about the surgery. It was wonderful, and made me like my doctor even more.

But, I did have to sign some forms and releases. The hardest to sign was the one that said I understood the surgery would leave me “permanently unable to bear children.” Although I had decided years ago not to have children, the finality of it all was kind of hard to digest. I signed anyway, though.

The doctor left the room when I was reading the forms and signing everything. The forms I needed to sign were in my file, which he handed me as he left. I guess he didn't count on me readinig and signing so quickly because I had plenty of time to look through my file. I'm over being pissed about this now but, when I read that in 1999 I had an “inflamed uterus” I was furious. Why wasn't anything done about it then?!

No comments: